Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

On 21-03-2018 11:31, John Doe wrote:

Don't take this personally, but...

Have you ever measured how much power your system uses?

Yes. When I edit video on a double xeon box I double the household power
use.

Many years ago I bought a $20 wattage meter to find out. Surprise!
Nowadays I always have one connected to my PC. A good use for it
after measuring appliances around the house.

My systems have been in the 100-300 W range, including everything in
the box (minus the monitor). That includes inefficiency/overhead of
the power supply itself.

My current system...
ATX motherboard
Intel i7-6700k
GeForce GTX980

Idle power is usually about 65 W. While in my flight simulator
(X-Plane 11), power is always less than 300 W.

The big power supply thing sounds like a penis size contest. It is
the kind of thing you would sell to non-scientists who need "RGB"
display in and on all their computer stuff. Heaven forbid we have
a trade war with China and can't get RGB headphones.

Remember the context, the OP is experiencing interference.

If you still have the box to that video card then check the suggested pc
power supply dimensioning. My videocards generally request 600 watts psu
in the pc or greater. And it is about voltage sag and -when it comes to
interference negation - psu output impedance on a single rail worst
case, not about what it can deliver on all rails combined.

My first thought was that his psu is marginal for the tasks since it is
when the graphics card is busy he has the issue. This here box has video
interference when there is too much disk activity, much the same issue.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen