Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

On 3/19/2018 4:52 PM, John Doe wrote:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).
The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Often that kind of noise comes in on the ground connection. How do you
have the speakers connected to your computer? Are you using the
computer's built-in sound card? An outboard (USB or something) audio
interface? Or are you taking an audio output from the video monitor that
picks audio off the HDMI video from the computer?

If your speakers are connected to an HDMI monitor, try a different audio
path, even the built-in sound card will give you more options. Best
would be an audio interface with a balanced line level output - this
would give you some opportunities for experimenting with disconnecting
grounds.

A cheap possible solution is a "ground isolator" that breaks the
physical connection between the computer ground and the speaker. I
tested one of these many years ago when I wrote an article on hum fixing
gadgets (I think it's on my web site), and this one had remarkably good
performance considering the price.

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Sy.../dp/B002YGM5D8