Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Confessions of an Iggerant 'Phile

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

(Eickmeier said):

Pianos are another interesting topic about "stereo." They are almost
always
miked so that we get the spread of the keys on playback, sometimes even a
10
ft wide piano.

Another result of "wrong thinking". They place a spaced pair of mikes
INSIDE
of the piano. One at one end of the string sounding board, and one at the
other! Of course you'll get a 10 ft wide piano!.

OK OK, this has gone far enough. I didn't say I thought the mikes were
recording piano keys.

The way to do it is to lift
the lid on the piano and use a good single point stereo mike (or pair)
about
4-7 ft in front of the instrument aimed at the lifted lid. I once did a
recording of Phillipe Entremont playing Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto
with a symphony orchestra. I used two Sony C37A mikes at 90 degrees to one
another on a 7" stereo "T-bar" and hung about 10 ft above the conductor's
head and about 15 ft behind the podium. I didn't highlight the piano at
all
(which was down-stage left in front of the orchestra and next to the
conductor's podium). On playback, the perspective was perfect, with the
piano
solidly placed on the speaker's soundstage EXACTLY where it was during the
concert. Now, that one I will send you! E-Mail me your mailing address.

Done! Thanks.

Gary Eickmeier