Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Confessions of an Iggerant 'Phile

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

Stan Lip****z wrote a famous article some
years back about "Stereo Miking Techniques - Are the Purists Wrong?" The
gist of it was that microphones do not need to hear the way humans hear.
When we play back a recording, no matter how it was recorded, the various
sounds will image somewhere within the stereo field by intensity or phase,
doesn't matter, and we will use our natural hearing mechanism to localize
sounds the same way we would live. He compared Blumlein stereo to
pan-potted
multimike techniques. I must look that article up again.

When you're wrong you're wrong.

Stanley was talking about spaced omnis as being the purist technique, and
coincident being the correct technique. Anyway, seems he agrees with you. I
have purchased this one again from the AES library, along with one by Ron
Streicher and Wes Dooley called "Basic Microphone Perspectives - a Review."
I will give a full book report.

Gary Eickmeier