Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Confessions of an Iggerant 'Phile

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:25:24 -0700, Olafur Gunnlaugsson wrote
(in article ):

=DEann 24/06/2011 15:06, skrifa=F0i Audio Empi
=20
Also, there are two DSD data rates. One is the standard SACD release r=

ate of
2.8224 MHz (64Fs) sampling frequency and the other is double that at 5=

..6448
MHz (sometimes called DSD128) because it's 128Fs. Either rate can be u=

sed=20
for
capture, but the DSD128 signal must be converted to DSD64 before an SA=

CD=20
disc
is mastered. DSD128 is rarely used commercially. I have made a couple =

of
recordings at DSD128 and aside from it taking up twice the storage spa=

ce as
does DSD64, I see (and hear) no actual advantage to it.

=20
You mean DXD as "Digital eXtreme Definition", I thought that format was=

=20
no longer used since we got proper DSD editing software, and I may have=

=20
been confusing terms, but unless I misheard the gent from Pentatone, DX=

D=20
versus DSD is how he differentiated between 64 and 128 frame recording=20
but thinking about it it may have been DSX versus DSD, they and most of=

=20
the other European Classical labels that (not Chandos I think, but not=20
sure) use 128 and have done for years.

DXD does, indeed stand for Digital eXtream Definition, and you are correc=
t,=20
it is obsolete (I think that I said that I don't believe it's used much a=
ny=20
more and it it never was used for SACD capture).=20

You must have heard wrong because DXD isn't a DSD format at all, it's mer=
ely=20
24-bit PCM at 352.8=A0kHz sampling rate (8Fs). While some record companie=
s=20
might have done capture at one time or another at DSD128, the release dis=
c=20
was usually down-converted to DSD64. (Some SACD players, apparently can p=
lay=20
5.6 MBPS (which is different from DSD128) recordings uncompressed, but th=
ey=20
are few and far between AFAICS.

As for your ability to hear a difference I cannot possibly comment,=20
especially in the light of the extremely comical discussion you are=20
having on cables concurrently .....

What's there to hear? DSD64 is flat to 50 KHz. DSD128 is flat to 100 KHz.=
=20
Otherwise, they are exactly the same. Now unless you have bat ears, which=
I =20
doubt, I simply don't believe that you (or anyone else) can hear the=20
difference between these two recording formats. Therefore I'm going to le=
ave=20
it to you to explain to me what possible audible advantage there could be=
=20
between a format that goes to 50 KHz and one that goes to 100 KHz, when m=
ost=20
18 year-old humans (with undamaged hearing) struggle to hear 20 KHz? =20