Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Olafur Gunnlaugsson[_2_] Olafur Gunnlaugsson[_2_] is offline

Default Confessions of an Iggerant 'Phile

Žann 24/06/2011 15:06, skrifaši Audio Empi

Also, there are two DSD data rates. One is the standard SACD release rate of
2.8224 MHz (64Fs) sampling frequency and the other is double that at 5.6448
MHz (sometimes called DSD128) because it's 128Fs. Either rate can be used for
capture, but the DSD128 signal must be converted to DSD64 before an SACD disc
is mastered. DSD128 is rarely used commercially. I have made a couple of
recordings at DSD128 and aside from it taking up twice the storage space as
does DSD64, I see (and hear) no actual advantage to it.

You mean DXD as "Digital eXtreme Definition", I thought that format was
no longer used since we got proper DSD editing software, and I may have
been confusing terms, but unless I misheard the gent from Pentatone, DXD
versus DSD is how he differentiated between 64 and 128 frame recording
but thinking about it it may have been DSX versus DSD, they and most of
the other European Classical labels that (not Chandos I think, but not
sure) use 128 and have done for years.

As for your ability to hear a difference I cannot possibly comment,
especially in the light of the extremely comical discussion you are
having on cables concurrently .....