Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Reedijk Rob Reedijk is offline

Default Lexicon LXP1 & LXP5 issues and troubles--15 years later

Mogens V. wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote:
Like many others here, my first effects units were made up of a system
of Lexicon LXP1, LXP5 and the MRC. After a few years I "moved up" to more
professional units.

But now that I am back into playing guitar in bands, I have decided to dust
off these units for the guitar rig---because they are actually pretty
good and portable.

So in testing them out, I have run into several issues.

LXP-1. This is just a comment. Both the 1 and the 5 were known for having
scratchy pot problems. And they would make a frightening sound as a result.
I had it on my LXP1. I never bothered to fix it since I read in RAP that
this was more than a dirty pot problem--some said the pots had to be replaced
and others mentioned faulty caps or grounding issues. Well---I actually
took out the deoxit, cleaned them and presto---all good.

Why not just go fix those pot problems? -though I've heard the rotary
encoder tends to go bad too (the jumping in parameter lists et al..),
for which I can't comment a fix.

LXP-1. Programming question...

Dunno if it may solve your issues, but try have a look at the Beringer
FCB1010, which does five PC and two CC commands per key per preset, or a
Ground Control (pricey).

I will look into the Behringer product---I have avoided their stuff since
I got burned on a composer compressor...But looking at it, what makes it
really tempting is the switching jacks. There are two and each actually
runs TRS meaning you can run 4 different switches which is actually great.
Ahh the Behringer temptation---"Luke, I'm your father, come to the dark
side....."

I was thinking about shopping a used LXP-5 for my guitar rig, but
decided against it having heard about the pot/encoder problems, plus my
LXP-15 takes about 1-2 secs for changing presets via midi, so I guess
the LXP-5 won't be fast enough either.
Since you have have an LXP-5, I'd like to know the time it actually
needs to do a preset change. Never met anyone who'd bother tell me..

Look at that link in my other post for the workaround---basically you
find positions on the rotary encoders that don't "missfire" and are
stable. I haven't tested it out, but if that works it's fine for
using with a guitar running off a midi controller. Also, someone
emailed me the instructions for cleaning the encoders (thank you!).
It's a bit messy and if they are still available from Lexicon---I
found old posts stating they were only $4 each, I would rather do
that!

As for the slow loading on the LXP-15---I know. I have one and it is
incredibly slow. Apparently the Version 2 was a bit faster. Anyway,
No such problem on the LXP-1 and LXP-5. They are quite fast. If you
do go this route, often LXP-5s are packaged with an LXP-1 and an MRC.
You might find the MRC very useful for programming the units and then
run them with a controller at the gigs. Make sure you get the MRC with
version 4. You have an LXP-15 which V4 is set up for. (V3 has the
PCM70.) Also--very important---V4 has two way communication. You load
in the program in the LXP5 into the MRC, edit it, and then dump it back
in.

Rob R.