Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default "Sound City" movie

On 2/26/2017 9:48 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Neil wrote:
During the "dawn of digital" one could see the potential for new
production techniques, but it wasn't realized until about a decade after
studios had to decide what they were going to do. For example, the 3M
and other digital recorders were still based on reels of tape, so
retakes were required and splicing was out.

Right. And that sort of thing continued on in the small studio world with
systems like ADAT, for quite some time. I'd consider those "transitional
systems." They have all of the disadvantages of analogue production techniques
with all the disadvantages of early digital sound quality.

It was possible to splice DASH tapes, though, although 3M format was not
spliceable. In theory it's possible to splice Mitsubishi tapes but in
practice it's a horror.

IMO, the most practical solutions at the time were based on the video
editing system technologies of the day. By the mid 80's, DAWs started to
take over, but they were also based on video recording and editing concepts.

In the meantime, classic
electronic music (read, synthesizer techniques aka musique concrete)
dominated the disco scene, and bands that previously would go to a
studio to record their demos were using Tascam gear at home, so the
money was siphoned off.

I avoided that whole movement myself, thank God. I might even still have
a DISCO SUCKS t-shirt somewhere.

;-)

--
best regards,