Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore[_4_] Eeyore[_4_] is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

Arny Krueger wrote:

I hesitate to elevate speakers that were designed to be floor standers.

The lowest octave response of speakers is designed for aq certain space that
they work into. Some speakers are desgned for what is known as a half-space,
such as on a wall or in the middle of a floor. Others are designed for a
quarter-space such as the middle of a corner or near a floor or a ceiling. A
few speakers are designed for use in either a full space - suspended in the
middle of free space or an eigth-space which would be in a corner at the
floor or the ceiling. Using a speaker in a space other than the one that it
was properly designed can reasonably be expected to produce incorrect bass
response.

You hit the nail on the head, however I doubt that more than a tiny
fraction of users understand the 'space' issue, e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_space

Graham