Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Wireless microphones?

On 17/09/2014 13:33, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Kenny Cargill wrote:
Thanks for the replies, the receiver has 16 UK channels, 9-12 legal in the
UK between 863-865MHz and 16 Australian 795-820MHZ, all legal, says the
others need to be licensed whatever that means.

It means that if you want to use them, you have to fill out some paperwork
and send it to the ACMA.

As he lists a UK supplier, I assume he's in the UK or Northern Ireland,
which doesn't have the same licensing rules for radio microphones as the
USA.

http://www.pmse.co.uk/

For contact details and getting a licence.

http://www.pmse.co.uk/equipment/wire...-monitors.aspx

For information about what frequencies are legal, which are licence
free, and which need licensing either as a one off for anywhere in the
country or for a particular location and event.

To Geoff there's a variable squelch control on the receiver, also I recently
missed out on the correct Ashton HT200 mic cheap on Ebay!
This is Australian made and the Ashton mic isn't readily available here in
Ireland.

It may not be legal to operate in Ireland.

The rules may differ, depending on whether he's in the ROI or Northern
Ireland.

The problems that you have, though, are mostly that the wireless mikes,
although they may use the same frequencies, don't always use the same
compression and modulation. So you may get audio, but it may sound weird
if the compression at the mike is different than the expansion at the
receiver, or if the emphasis equalization at the mike is different than the
de-emphasis at the receiver.

If it's just a paging appplication you could get away with it but for
proper work I'd hold out for the correct transmitter.

This is for home, not commercial, use and I'm just trying to get a
reasonable priced mic to work with it.

Personally, I'd just go for a complete package from a local Maplin or
Digital Village store, as that will be guaranteed to comply with all the
legal requirements and work without problems.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.