Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Wireless microphones?

Kenny Cargill wrote:
Thanks for the replies, the receiver has 16 UK channels, 9-12 legal in the
UK between 863-865MHz and 16 Australian 795-820MHZ, all legal, says the
others need to be licensed whatever that means.

It means that if you want to use them, you have to fill out some paperwork
and send it to the ACMA.

It has a Mode switch which apparently switches between channel select and
variable tuning, does this mean that I can tune it like a radio to suit the
mic so long as it falls within the frequency band?

Maybe. I highly, highly recommend not using the variable tuning because it
is apt to drift or be knocked out of place.

To Geoff there's a variable squelch control on the receiver, also I recently
missed out on the correct Ashton HT200 mic cheap on Ebay!
This is Australian made and the Ashton mic isn't readily available here in
Ireland.

It may not be legal to operate in Ireland.

The problems that you have, though, are mostly that the wireless mikes,
although they may use the same frequencies, don't always use the same
compression and modulation. So you may get audio, but it may sound weird
if the compression at the mike is different than the expansion at the
receiver, or if the emphasis equalization at the mike is different than the
de-emphasis at the receiver.

If it's just a paging appplication you could get away with it but for
proper work I'd hold out for the correct transmitter.

This is for home, not commercial, use and I'm just trying to get a
reasonable priced mic to work with it.

Here in the US, you constantly see wireless receivers on the surplus
market, often pulled out of churches and schools, but never with the
appropriate microphone. Consequently there's a big demand for used
mikes on Ebay....