Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default The Death of The MidYut

On Feb 7, 2:34*pm, ScottW wrote:
On Feb 7, 12:14*pm, Soupe du jour wrote:

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:02:43 -0800 (PST), ScottW
wrote:

On Feb 7, 10:36*am, Soupe du jour wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:00:19 -0800 (PST), ScottW

wrote:

Actually my main system now has Linkwitz Orions that I built
from Linkwitz plans.

I've heard these and was fairly impressed, although they fall to
pieces if you turn the volume up to what most would consider normal
levels.

I find them capable of overwhelming my listening room as their low
distortion
at high levels doesn't convey a sense of typical loudness as do most
box speakers.
Perhaps that's what you heard.

I don't think so. I have heard other low distortion designs before.

The Orions seemed to handle things like a string quartet just fine,
but they didn't do so well on a full orchestra. They got kind of
"congested" or something, as if they were overloading on the louder
passages.

* I don't share that experience. *I find that they convey an
effortless
sense of unlimited power capable of levels far beyond what my
room can handle.
Creating live orchestra levels is a challenge few listening rooms
can handle. *My personal preference is at much lower levels and I find
them
easily capable of smooth detail and clarity throughout and well beyond
my preferred
listening range.

It sounds like Soupy thinks your speakers are anemic. LoL.