Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Coconuts Coconuts is offline

Default The Death of The MidYut

On Jan 19, 9:21 pm, ScottW wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:06 pm, Boon
wrote:

On Jan 19, 8:34 pm, "Coconuts"
wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in
message

"Coconuts" wrote:

What in the world is this newsgroup about? I came
here to
solicit opinions as to whether re-foam-edging my
Tannoy
SBM-6.5 speakers is a wise decision. This newsgroup
doesn't
seem to be about audio at all.

Looks like you could replace them entirely for under
$100,
so it depends
on how much you like refoaming stuff.

I'm sorry, I'm not following you. How could I replace
them
for under $100?

And thank you by the way. Two helpful replies when I
really
wasn't expecting one.

Well, that site I linked offers a comparable woofer for
$60 each. IIRC
refoam kits are usually available for around $40. It's a
bit of work
to do it, but it's not too hard of a job if you know
basic electronics.

Refoaming requires zero knowledge of electronics. Even you
could do
it. Hard part is cosmetics. Getting the driver functional
is
trivial.

You two crack me up. You stalk one another like an
obsession. Is there something going on you'd like the world
to know?

I'm not too worried about being able to refoam the woofers.
I hate that I have to cut out the dust caps, but I guess
it's a necessary part of the process. I'll invest in the
refoams for $25 and see how they sound. I don't think I'll
opt for new drivers at $60 each.

Thanks all.

Orange county speaker will do it if you send them the
driver.

Re-Edge Pricing For: Tannoy
Size / Model Re-Edge Price
4", 5" & 6" $28
8" $35
10" $45
12" HPD315, etc. $85
15" HPD385, etc. $28 $85

Lots of people sell driver edges on E-bay as well.