Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default SE Headphones Amp

On Oct 2, 11:09*pm, Ian Bell wrote:
Ian Iveson wrote:
flipper wrote:

If I understood his meaning he has the relative effect
backwards.

For a given shunt inductance a lower load has better LF
response
(shunt less significant).

This is the first time for many years that the meaning of
the term "load" in this context has been challenged.

Generally, I have avoided the issue and used the less-easily
misunderstood term "load resistance" or just "resistance".
Lately, there has been so little discussion by amateurs that
the jargon of commercial operators, or "professionals" as
they prefer to call themselves, has erected barriers against
incursion. Now the self-styled professionals are getting
sloppy.

An open circuit represents zero load, right? So a high load
resistance is a low load.

Moot. An open circuit implies 'no' load which could equally imply infinite resistance.

This is basic stuff.

An open circuit sure is NO LOAD PRESENT but load ohms is always the
result of an equation and always = V / I and if I = 0.0 Amps then the
load = V / 0 = infinite number of ohms = very high resistance value in
ohms.

A low load is always assumed to be a low ohm value load, usually in
comparison to a source resistance so if Rsource = 100 ohms then a load
of 10 ohms is a low load, and it is never a high load resistance. The
context helps determine the meaning.
A load of 1,000ohms is a high value load resistance - in comparision
to the Rsource of 100 ohms.

Patrick Turner.

Cheers

ian

I'll try to use more accessible language in the future.

Ian- Hide quoted text -