Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default SE Headphones Amp

One thing I was wondering was if I use a transformer
with
a nominal 16 ohm secondary but use it with 32 ohm
headphones for example, then ra reflected into the
secondary would be so low relative to the load that the
output could be considered essentially a voltage source.
Equally the load reflected to the plate would be four
times higher so distortion would be lower?

Language. Lower load = higher resistance.

If you follow my logic, my point is clear. The load
presented by the primary of a transformer comprises:

1. Primary winding resistance
2. Leakage inductance in series with 1
3. Reflected secondary winding resistance in series with 1
and 2
4. Reflected secondary load in series with 1, 2 and 3
5. Primary inductance in shunt with 3 and 4

Think.

Ian