Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default SE Headphones Amp

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

It likely depends on how close saturation is to 20Hz, *at
the signal level the OPT is likely to encounter*. If
you're
willing to use feedback, and the signal is small, you may
be
OK. An appropriate filter at the input should make
saturation impossible.

One thing I was wondering was if I use a transformer with
a nominal 16 ohm secondary but use it with 32 ohm
headphones for example, then ra reflected into the
secondary would be so low relative to the load that the
output could be considered essentially a voltage source.
Equally the load reflected to the plate would be four
times higher so distortion would be lower?

Patrick'll be along in a tick.

Twice the plate load? It *is* the anode load isn't it? 2
3 times ra, depending on whether you want power or
fidelity
respectively, broadly speaking.

Yes, but you are thinking in power amp terms alone and as
I have said before I have no power amp experience. My rule
applies to low level transformers e.g. mic transformers
and for broadly similar reasons.

10H is in shunt with load. Lower load makes shunt more
significant.

Yeah but, no but, my load is higher not lower.

Cheers

Ian

Try sim. Should shift 0 to higher F. Use fb to
restore...what then?

Ian, who's English has been wrecked by Twitter.