Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default SE Headphones Amp

I have been thinking a bit about Patrick's suggestion of using something like an EL84 in an SE
headphones amp. I was intrigued that he had built one using a 'cheap' output transformer so I have
looked at specs from various suppliers of such transformers. These transformers typically have a
primarily inductance of around 10 Henries (at 20 or 40mA) for a nominal 5K match. Now my transformer
rule of thumb is you want the primary inductance to be twice the plate load at the lowest frequency
of interest (say 20Hz). So for 5K ohms and 20Hz the inductance needs to be getting on for 40 Henries
so is not the bass response of these transformers going to suffer somewhat??

Cheers

Ian