Roger W. Norman

Won't make any difference with SATA devices. If it were 40 or 80 pair IDE
cables or moreso SCSI cables you sometimes have the same symptoms.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Greg Bryant" wrote in message
9.11...
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
:

Sounds to me like you probably put a new cable in for the hard drive,
which is faulty, but not faulty enough to fail, just be noisy.

So my bet is you replace the cable, correct?

Hmm, no, I didn't, but I can give that a shot. The PC uses a pair of
SATA drives, and I think I have a spare set of cables. I just tried
moving the power cable from the Ghost's PSU, as it ran next to the LCD
cables and fiddled with (read "organized") a bunch of cables running past
the PC from patchbay to rack, but no change. All I did for the XP
problem was a software repair - that's what's bugging me. Normally a new
hum would have an obvious hardware change, but this one I just don't get.
The good news is that no one has yet to say, "Oh, yeah, Ghosts tend to do
that if you . . ." .

The PC and console are both on different UPS's, so I wouldn't expect a
surge to get through, and I have a web dev server sitting off in a
different corner with just a surge protector that's been running fine, so
I don't think a surge could have gotten through.

I have a center channel speaker I've been meaning to put under the LCDs,
but haven't because it will raise them up a bit more than I like, but I
think I'll try that next. That will get the LCDs just a little more
distance from the Tannoys, which may help if it's a shielding problem. I
don't think so, as the hum is on the mix out as well as the control room
out, though. Maybe I'll rip the PC out and re-run all of its cables
first.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Greg