Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

Default Lp and digital, the test

I have followed the current lp/cd thread only superficially but did notice
in one branch it took the testing path.

When considering this entire thing I'm reminded of a listening test of
some years ago. An lp was recorded digitally, might have been tape then.
The lp was used with the digital copy in a listening alone test to see if
which was which could be spotted. It could not beyond chance.

Whatever was on the lp, noise and euphonic distortions or what have you,
was on the digital copy faithfully enough not to be spotted reliabily.

This means that any differences spotted in other contexts likely owe their
audibility to mastering and other such done in the transfer to digital.

In my view, unless the above test can be shown to be in error then most of
this thread was in vain because all relevant questions relating to home
reproduction were addressed by it.