Posted to rec.audio.pro
cporro cporro is offline

Default amp for avantone mixcubes?

I think he believes that it is not advisable to use them as main mix
monitors. *I would agree with that.

roger that. i'm think half my time but we'll see.

They are full range drivers in a box, meaning there is just one driver
for the whole frequency range, rather than a 2-way system. *This is what
makes them useful; low frequencies make them break up badly, high frequencies
are lost, so you can predict what will happen on TV.

oh, that makes sense. i read that as full frequency range output.
you're saying full frequency is sent to one driver.

Most of those amplifiers will not have gain controls. *The Adcom 535 and
555 could be ordered with a gain control as a special extra-cost option
but most of the used ones you see will not have them. *

so i'd adjust the output from my converter?

The Symetrix units
vary; some have gain screws, some have knobs, none of them have coupled
stereo controls.

so you'd have to calibrate each channel?

i'm only looking into this amp thing because a few people claim they
have used nicer amps to drive these and they could tell a big
difference.