Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default amp for avantone mixcubes?

On 5/25/2011 1:40 AM, cporro wrote:

there seem to be 2 schools of thought on this. you want the thing to
sound real world or bad so any amp is fine. and it's worth getting a
nice amp for better monitoring and ease of listening.

i don't plan on using the mixcubes for a real world check...i plan on
doing a lot of mixing on them.

That really isn't advisable, but if that's what you're going
to do anyway, you might as well get a decent amplifier so
you won't inject other forms of distortion that aren't going
to be "fixable" in your mixing.

any opinions on this one from people who have tried out a few things?
i've seen the bryston 2bs mentioned, the crown d75 but i really know
little about power amps.

Bryston - good. Crown D75 - not so good. There's an Adcom
555 I think that Scott recommends. Maybe you can find a
Hafler DH-220 or DH-225. A bit of an outlier but would
probably work just fine is the Alesis RA-500. It's a
discontinued model but I picked up a used one for $90 at a
local Guitar Center on the recommendation of a trusted
engineer friend when I needed something to tide me over
while I troubleshot my Hafler. I compared them after I fixed
the Hafler and they were equally good driving my KEF monitors.

and how come there isn't a single thread on the avantone mixcubes?

Because it's a very limited demand product.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff