Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Default AM/FM/XM tuner?

On 10/29/2010 9:53 AM, Greg Grainger wrote:
I have an account with XM radio...
A few months ago, my FM tuner (Revox) gave up the ghost...
I have in mind a combination unit that does all three - AM. FM, and XM. There are a very few
on the market - the Polk xrt-12, the Marantz st7001, and the Magnum Dynalab MD609T or MD606T
have been suggested to me...
There is a difference between 'XM' and 'XM Ready' - one has the satellite radio circuitry
built in, the other requires a small tuner unit from the XM people to be plugged in, like a
kind of iPod dock.
My dilemma/question is this - does anyone know which of the units mentioned above falls into
which category?

I think you are mistaken. A so-called "XM-ready" tuner requires a module
from the tuner manufacturer, not XM. And the module mounts inside the
tuner. It's not external, like an iPod dock.

To be sure, I'd check with the manufacturer or a dealer. Magnum Dynalab
sells direct, so I'd think it would be easy to find out.

You might want to also consider the McIntosh MR88
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/1333.asp