Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Grainger Greg Grainger is offline

Default AM/FM/XM tuner?

I have an account with XM radio; I like it for the variety of programming and the selection of
music played.

A few months ago, my FM tuner (Revox) gave up the ghost. I have not replaced it, because I
find commercial radio to be too full of, yes, commercials and other interruptions.

Now, I have a hankering for a decent-quality tuner for news, weather, traffic, as well as a
few programs that I liked.

I have in mind a combination unit that does all three - AM. FM, and XM. There are a very few
on the market - the Polk xrt-12, the Marantz st7001, and the Magnum Dynalab MD609T or MD606T
have been suggested to me. None is available in any stereo store in the area (Toronto) that
I've been able to find.

There is a difference between 'XM' and 'XM Ready' - one has the satellite radio circuitry
built in, the other requires a small tuner unit from the XM people to be plugged in, like a
kind of iPod dock.

My dilemma/question is this - does anyone know which of the units mentioned above falls into
which category? None of the reviews I've read is clear on the subject. I've even downloaded
the owner's manuals and I can't tell from them whether I would have to purchase a seperate
unit for the XM portion.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Best,
Greg.
--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinnage it is, though, ain't it!'
- Miss Mowcher