Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default Nobody Wants Mono

On Apr 27, 6:13*pm, Bret L wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:48*pm, Boon wrote:

Again, you have no idea what's going on in the trenches. I have a
friend who refurbishes RTR decks and he says the demand has definitely
spiked in the last two years. Peruse any decent audio discussion group
and you'll find a lot of activity in RTR threads. I even went to a
hifi store on Saturday and they had an RTR deck in the front window.
He said he put it there because his customers are starting to ask
about it.

*The one place I know of buys 70s Japanese consumer decks for a couple
hundred dollars and "remanufactures" them for a five figure price.

Another place I know tuned up my TEAC reel-to-reel for $25.

They are not interested in Studer or Ampex machines, which are "the
real deal". Consumer tape machines can not do any better than vinyl,
it isn't untill you get to 1/2" two track at 15 ips or so you get into
the real realm of superior fidelity.

*Aside from the ludicrous "Tape Project" who is doing new tape
releases?

The Tape Project is just the beginning. The demand is there.