Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
fishfry fishfry is offline

Default Dumb Q -- non-powered speakers connected to TV-out

I just bought a pair of JBL Control1X speakers. They have traditional
connecting posts (two wires, one to each post).

My tv-out jacks are RCA plugs. I took a pair of RCA-RCA plugs and cut
each one of the pair; separated the signal and ground, and plugged the
signal into the + post, and the ground into the - post of the speakers.

However, no sound comes out.

Somone on a Web forum had told me this setup would work ... but of
course they could be wrong.

Do I need to have an amp between the tv-out and the speakers?

Or should the speakers work the way I did it, and perhaps something else
is wrong?

I formerly had some powered computer speakers plugged in to the tv-out
jacks, and they work fine.

If I need an amp, what's a good one to get? This isn't a mega home
theater setup, I just want to put a pair of speakers on my tv.

Thanks, I hope this question's not too dumb.