Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Looking for 6 inch subwoofer

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
" Frank" wrote in message
om

By the 1960s we had both tubes and transistors.

True for many applications, but not for others.

The
transistor than was very mature as it was invented in
1947 and much of the physic were been worked out years
ago.

Depends which end of the 60s, you're talking. In 1960 there were no
competitive mainstream solid state power amps, receivers or integrated amps.
By the end of the 60s, there were, but power ratings above 200 wpc were
still in the next generation.

The first stereo amp reviewed by Stereo Review was the Knight kit KG-870, in
1965. It was not competively reliable. The first stereo amp reviewed by
High Fidelity was the Knight KN400, in 1961. It had low power and was not
competively reliable. By 1966 some SS gear with adequate power and
reliability crept onto the market. Really high-powered SS amps waited until
1973 or later.

I just pulled out my 61 catalog. I must have built a SS amp sometime later.
It was a smaller amp with germanium transistors and transformer interstage
driver. It had that great clear SS sound.

Doesn't look like they used the KG- etc in 61 year. They just said 40 watt amp or
something like that.

greg