Posted to rec.audio.car
Frank[_8_] Frank[_8_] is offline

Default Looking for 6 inch subwoofer

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
" Frank" wrote in message

There is no new technology. I had the Bose 901 II with 9
-4.5 inch drivers in a small
box, with a low frequency -3 db of 30 Hz. It was boosted
+18 dB at 30 Hz.

The original 901 required a huge amount of power and it
was new technology and concept when it came out.

High price of trying to get bass out of a small box.

There
wasn't too many amps in its day that could drive it loud.

Tubes. Ugh.

By the 1960s we had both tubes and transistors. The transistor than was
very mature as it was invented in 1947 and much of the physic were been
worked out years ago. Nothing wrong with tubes, many high systems end still
use it but neither tubes nor solid state could drive the 901 at very high
pressure levels.

On the other hand, back in the 60s, there was
Electro-Voice 30" woofer that required very power to
drive it,

Its voice coil could handle only about 60 watts. It only had a few mm of
Xmax. A modern 10' subwoofer driver could probably out-displace it.

It doesn't have to handle many watts as it was very efficient. I have not
seen a 10" sub (not a 10') that could out pump a 30" as the excursion has be
9x times more.

and when coupled to the right box, it could
blow a match out about five feet in front of it.

Nope.

Why did you say nope? The box I was referring to was designed by a UC
Berkeley physicists back in the mid 1960. It was a corner exponentially
folded horn and was based on a famous horn design except he corrected all
the folding angles. A few people I talked to said it did blow out the match,
including a chief engineer - no reason for them to lie for they were not
connected with the project. It was for his personal use, not commercial.
Believe what you believe.