Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Looking for 6 inch subwoofer

In article , "news.rcn.com" wrote:
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before but I lost
track of car audio components a few years ago and it does defy googling
somewhat.

I have a space for two 6 inch speakers in the rear doors of my car and want
to put a subwoofer into it. The front has space for a passable mid range
unit of about the same size.

Has anyone developed anything with any sort of extended bass which can fit
into this space yet? I know it is TOO SMALL but was wondering if anyone had
developed any technology which could do this? Such as a long-throw cone??

If you use a closed box woofer, one with a fairly high Q, you can put it into a small
box. Being too small, it will have a peak in the upper bass range. This peak can be
fairly small though. It depends on the driver and box size. The actual diameter of
the driver will be 6.5 inches. Thats whats available. you can equalize that bass to any
low frequency you want. The trade off will be efficiency, power handling, and excursion
limits. In one car I have 4 -6.5 inchers in a closed hidden box under a compartment,
otherwise the system is stealth. Putting drivers in doors can be complex. You need a solid
foundation and adequate damping material. It will make the door heavy. You need
to plug driver parameters and box sizes into a program to see whats up.
There is no new technology. I had the Bose 901 II with 9 -4.5 inch drivers in a small
box, with a low frequency -3 db of 30 Hz. It was boosted +18 dB at 30 Hz.

greg