Mark S

RB,
Madisound might be able to help you with the old crossovers. They had once
offered to measure and redesign a crossover I was having a similar problem
with. www.madisound.com might be worth an email.
Mark
"- - : R A T B o y : - -" - - : R A T B o y : - wrote in
message ...
Thanks, Bob.

The system was advertised at 50 watts. Possibly it was 25 wpc. So, I
expect at least 25w. This is the least of my worries.

A set of frequency curves would help me build substitute x-overs. I
figure Magnavox used a variety of speaker suppliers and models so I am
hoping the previously described markings will mean something to someone.

Also, I measured the individual speaker resistances:
The horns show 11ohms resistance and the woofers 7.6 ohms. According to
your suggestion 20% variances approximate the following:
4 ohms +/- 20% = between 3.2 & 4.8 ohms
8 ohms +/- 20% = between 6.4 & 9.6 ohms
16 ohms +/- 20% = between 12.8 & 19.2 ohms
This suggests that they could possibly be 16 and 8 ohms... would the old
crossovers have compensated for this? They were very simple (a big cap, a
ferrite coil and a wound resistor (big rectangular clay thingy).

Obviously, an audio frequency generator and a o-scope would allow me to
plot my own curves... fat chance I'd pop for these. I do, however, have a
stereo FM signal generator... but I do not know if this could be used for
audio.

"robert casey" wrote in message
link.net...
- - : R A T B o y : - - wrote:

I'd like to know what these speakers are rated at & whether they are 4,
8 or ohm.

An ohmmeter will get you a close (20%) read on the impedance of
a speaker. Other than comparing the physical size of the
voice coil and magnet to known speakers, not sure how to
identify power rating.