Tony Fernandes

MZ wrote: "We're telling you that two amps that *AREN'T CLIPPING* will sound
the same."

Mark,

Some questions.

I assume that different amps will produce varied amounts of audible
distortion when clipping? Enough to hear the differences between them? And
why would we care since the aim is to not drive them into clipping to begin
with? Isn't it a moot point?Because I usually don't drive my amps into
clipping. My PG amps deliver gobs of power...especially so since my spakers
are tri-amped. I can make myself go deaf and have inordinate amounts of
CLEAN volume, all of which I'm assuming are unclipped signals due to the
absence of distortion (at least none that I can detect with my ears).

So what exactly ARE the differences that different amps display when
clipping? If we agree that they behave very similarly at unclipped levels,
then what separates the good from the bad in terms of performance when
clipped?

My summation in all of this is as follows...correct me if I am wrong. As
long as my amplifer gives me enough power (volume) without clipping AND has
the features I want, then it really doesn't matter AT ALL which brand I buy
or how much I spend. (durability aside)

Also...if I'm not mistaken, Richard Clark has never lost $10K to anyone
during one of his challenges. This alone, regardless of someone's grasp (or
lack thereof) of sound reproduction should clear things up a little.

Tony

--
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and