MZ

"Believe it or not, one simple test that is often accurate is to weigh 2
different amps. The heavier one will usually sound better (or "perform"
better, depending on how you define "perform".)"

I'd be really interested in hearing your explanation of this.

His explanation was that companies often don't put more metal into an amp
than they have to. This isn't terribly far off the mark, but it's hardly a
reliable indicator either. But I think his last sentence summed it up:

"Manufacturers (especially cheesy ones) manipulate the specs on their amps
so much that I'd go so far as to say you will get a more accurate picture of
which amp sounds better by weighing them than by looking at the usual
specs!"

That's a valid argument. It comes down to - which is worse? Going by the
specs or going by the weight?