Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Low Noise Sound card

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in
message
On 15/03/2010 10:03, Ian Bell wrote:
Mr.T wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Arny I'm really surprised I have to spell it out for
you, a passive analog attenuator reduces both signal
AND noise at *it's output* (amplifier input)
Of course, but read what I wrote: it does nothing to
reduce the noise at the output of the amplifier which
is often the weakest link.

Read what I wrote, I never said it did. But the OP
thinks his amplifier is
not the problem.

The OP *wasn't*
complaining about his amplifiers noise!
In this case he had an amplifier with atypically low
noise.

So why bring up something irelevant to the actual
discussion then?
IF that was his problem, asking for a low noise sound
card is even more stupid!

The problem of coming up with an audio interface with
dynamic range and
SNR
108 dB was solved long ago.

Never in dispute.

****, it's a pretty woeful amplifier that only gets
80dB S/N these days! Hardly "audiophile" quality!!!!
Look at the spec sheets for some modern integrated
amps.

Yep, "audiophile" grade pretty much around 100dB these
days. Your definition of "audiophile" grade may differ of
course.
I'm here to tell you that many power amps that spec
100 dB are a little
optimistic.

Sure, and many that aren't, and I've measured quite a
few.
For a tube amp perhaps, but power amps with over 100dB
S/N are easily obtained these days.
They can be obtained, but 100 dB is not a low mark,
especially if you test
them on the bench.

Also consider that most CD players are attached to
integrated amps, not power amps.

Irrelevant to the current discussion. You are free to
make a completely separate point of course, but don't
drag me into it.
Like I said, the OPs specific problem is in my views
resolved days ago.

Years ago in fact, but he doesn't seem to realise it.

MrT.

And both of you please stop using s/n when you mean
dynamic range - they are not the same thing not to
mention simply quoting a totally unqualified dB figure
is quite meaningless.

s/n as in max voltage output with an input of 0dB to the
voltage output with no input signal.

So far, so good. No noise measurement is complete without a statement of the
measurement bandwidth.

Dynamic range measurements are performed with a test signal present, as it
also includes spurious responses. A typical measurement would be made using
a -60 dB 1 KHz sine wave.