Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham Adrian Tuddenham is offline

Default Alan Blumlein on radio tonight

Don Pearce wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

Edi Zubovic wrote:

[...]
You know what? I get a much more stable set of images having inverted
one channel. I wonder if he got the polarity wrong all those years ago.
Or maybe something has happened to it since.

See the pictures of his cutterhead...

http://www.doramusic.com/Binaural%20...%20head%20side
%20view.JPG

http://www.doramusic.com/Binaural%20...%20head%20deta
il.JPG

....he got the polarity right, his recordings used lateral and vertical
modulation for the two channels. What has happened since is that the
BBC has incorrectly played the recordings in 45/45 stereo.

One of Blumlein's original recordings of the Abbey Road stereo tests was
available as a vinyl re-pressing on the 'Symposium' label (Nr: 1028A).
A vector analysis of it only shows strong modulation on one diagonal,
the other diagonal contains a very faint and distorted signal. Some of
Blumlein's tests were performed with spaced omni mics (HB1s?) and the
spacing was varied from zero to various widths, so it seems possible
that this is the test recording made with zero spacing - unfortunately
it was the only one re-issued (although metalwork for the others still
exists).

Not sure - assuming the 45/45 idea is what has happened, I've done the
necessary sum and difference edit to get vertical and horizontal. The
stereo effect disappears entirely, leaving just a rather shaky central
source. Inverting one channel gives a very clear sound stage with the
players distributed evenly across it. So I think they did do a
conversion from V/H, but got it wrong, ending up with one inverted channel.

I think you're right. I wonder where the mistake occurred and why it
wasn't spotted before transmission?

Maybe they just expected nothing better than they got, and failed to
pursue it. They would have had a pleasant surprise had they done so.

I have written to the producer of the programme and pointed out the
error. If he replies, I will let you know what explanation he offers.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk