Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edi Zubovic[_2_] Edi Zubovic[_2_] is offline

Default Alan Blumlein on radio tonight

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:43:58 +0100, Don Pearce
wrote:

Edi Zubovic wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:59:38 +0100, Don Pearce
wrote:

BBC Radio4's Archive Hour tonight at 8pm (UK) is all about Alan
Blumlein, and apparently has a load of his original recordings. Here's a
sample of a stereo test he did in the 1930s - I just grabbed it off the
trailer. There would have been more but Audition is really slow to fire
up when you want it in a hurry.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/blumlein.mp3

Thank you, I'd wish you had more of that. These are interesting stereo
recordings to investigate. Try to invert the right channel and sum up
into mono, you'll get some interesting cancellarions.

Edi Zubovicc, Crikvenica, Croatia

You know what? I get a much more stable set of images having inverted
one channel. I wonder if he got the polarity wrong all those years ago.
Or maybe something has happened to it since.

Yes I've found that too. After reversing the right channel, I've got
better results but less mono compatibility, there are some
cancellations. It can be a tape alignment issue, too. Anyway, it seems
that a channel is reversed indeed. I usually don't trust a correlation
meter is such cases since there isn't much intensity stereo but the
meter "pulls" to the wrong left side too much. Also, a m-s matrix
yields m side lower than s side so it seems a channel is reversed
indeed. The guys seemed to play a card game for this test.

Thanks for pointing out, I'll try to catch this.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia