Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Help! Crackling noise from speakers.

"Matt Kissmann" wrote ...
I'm hoping someone can help me! I have a Kenwood KR-9600 with a pair
of Pioneer speakers. Recently, there has been loud crackling and
hissing noises coming from my speakers (usually just one speaker).
This happens when there is no input and happens when each input is
selected with the selector knob. Any ideas? Suggestions for a fix?

Clean the selector switch. Typically, you need to do this from
inside, it is not something that can be effectively done from
the front panel. There are various specialty products made
for cleaning switches and pots. You could just try the "cheap
stuff" from Radio Shack (or equivalent) to see if that fixes (or
at least reduces) the noise. Then you can use the more serious
(and expensive) stuff if needed.

This isn't Rocket Surgery. Its rather a common disease of older
equipment like that.