Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Help! Crackling noise from speakers.

Matt Kissmann wrote:
I'm hoping someone can help me! I have a Kenwood KR-9600 with a pair
of Pioneer speakers. Recently, there has been loud crackling and
hissing noises coming from my speakers (usually just one speaker).
This happens when there is no input and happens when each input is
selected with the selector knob. Any ideas? Suggestions for a fix?

A KR-9600? That's from...what, 1976? That's old enough to be a
candidate for a good going-over. If it doesn't have deteriorating
electrolytics (likely), then at least the mechanicals and connectors
should get a once-over with Deoxit and lubrication. Also, the
protection relay could be getting oxidized and need its contacts dressed
up. One other area of concern; I've seen older units that had dried-up
heatsink compound on the output devices.

That's a pretty cool old machine--Kenwoods initial entry into the
'receiver wars' of the mid-70's. It would be a shame for something
'preventable' to take it out...perhaps irretrievably.

jak