Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro
Industrial One Industrial One is offline

Default The future of audio compression?

On Mar 13, 5:19 pm, Trixter wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:33 am, Industrial One wrote:

5.1 audio consumes a lot of space, but that's why we got AAC with all
its cool extensions that retains the same quality at the same bitrates
that MP3 requires for stereo files.

Not sure what 5.1 soundtracks you've looked at, but they definitely
don't fit into the same bitrates as MP3. The only comparable target
might be a 320kbps 2.0 mp3 compared to a 384kbps 5.1 ac3, but the
quality of the 5.1 soundtrack audibly suffers at that rate if there
isn't enough material shared amongst channels.

I said AAC, not AC3 (precisely why they should've stuck to MP4. God
damn geeks love to complicate ****, man). Surround sound with HE-AAC
at 192 kbps is comparable to MP3 at the same rate for stereo, but it's
better to use 256-320 'cuz SBR tends to screw cymbals and any sharp
audio.

I predict 16 kbps to
be advertized as comparable quality to 128 kbps MP3 (MP3 will never
die), and 32-64 being the new transparency point in audio. Finally HQ
streaming be possible on dial-up, or am I just tripping balls?

I vote for "tripping balls".

:/