Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default The future of audio compression?

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
in comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro, On Fri, 13 Mar 2009
02:56:49 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

geoff wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Industrial One wrote:

What do you guys think? Will there be a successor to the current
state- of-the-art AAC codec, or do people not give a damn about
compression no more since FLACs and high-bitrate MP3s nowadays
download in less than a minute even in ****ty 3rd world countries?

There's a recent story on Slashdut. A professor has done tests of
college students with MP3 of various bitrates vs. uncompressed audio,
and most students nowadays PREFER the 128k MP3 sound:

Young People Prefer "Sizzle Sounds" of MP3 Format

Doesn't surprise me at all, as the same thing happened when CD came out and
lots of people, especially the younger ones still preferred vinyl, as that
was what they were familiar with. Ditto with the big expansion of radio into
FM in the UK in the '70s. Many people, in this case mostly older ones, said
they preferred AM as it sounded "more mellow" and FM was screechy.

I myself find that when I listen to other loudspeakers, for some 10-15
minutes they sound "wrong" until I get used to them. Then I can use them
perfectly happily, to have the same reaction when I return to my normal
equipment.

Sadly, for many of not most people now, especially younger ones, MP3,
especially low bit-rate MP3 is the norm, and anything else will sound
"wrong".

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com