Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Recommendations for Computer Speakers?

Eric Lindsay wrote:

I am surprised that people wanting a reasonable set of computer speakers
do not more often mention AudioengineUSA. While the Audioengine 5
bookshelf at US$350 exceeds the price range the original poster
specified, the new Audioengine 2 is US$199, which does meet the
specified price range. I understand that for USA buyers, you can
organise a 30 day listening trial.

Specifications are obviously much inferior for the much smaller
Audioengine 2, and the amplifier is specified only at 15 watts RMS per
channel, rather than the 50 watts RMS of the A5. S/N 95dB (typical A
weighted). THD 0.05% Crosstalk 50dB. Frequency response 65Hz-22kHz
+/-2dB
http://audioengineusa.com/tech.htm

A good call Those specs are very credible indeed. The +/- 2dB spec for the frequency
response is in 'monitor class' speaker territory, so I'm a little sceptical about
the number 2 here, but the general impression I get from their site is that they are
a very workmanlike and competent product. I'd buy them if I was in the market for
this kind of product.

The entire product description is also technically meaningful and isn't marketing
fluff.

I especially like this "You won't hear any enhanced super-mega-hyper-monster boomy
bass from these speakers."

The trouble is that those Klipschs and Altecs etc are marketed at people who
probably do want boom and tizz and squawk.

Graham