Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Recommendations for Computer Speakers?

MiNe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Curmudgeon wrote:

In article , Curmudgeon
wrote:

In article , Curmudgeon
wrote:

In article
,
Jolly Roger wrote:

In article ,
Curmudgeon wrote:

OP here, Sorry, Jak, but you have it all wrong. Yes, I intend to
build
around using my Macintosh as my primary music playback system.
However,
I use the machine for much more than that, nor do I intend to abandon
my
audiophile system downstairs. What I did say is that the speakers
I've
chosen for the computer will be used for music playback but not
required
to be a gaming or DVD system.

It appears that it is you who have not read what I originally read
very
carefully. Please lay off Jolly Roger. He was the most helpful
among a
small group who originally replied, and seems to be the only poster
who
really understood what my intentions were. I am now very sorry that
my
original message was posted to the audio newsgroups. I apprieciate
what
I've heard from you golden-ear guys (and I'm among you when it comes
my main system), but my choice for upstairs is determined by real
estate
available and financial considerations as well as the "pure sound" I
can
expect from it. If I'd had the space and the money, I'd have gone
with
a nice clean little amp and a pair of serious studio monitors.

I may very well find that the Klipsch system I have chosen is all
"boom
and tizz" (as Graham has put it), and if so, I will be unhappy with
it.
But I was quite content with the Cambridge SoundWorks system I had
been
using, and the Klipsch specs out much better than it did, so I expect
be pretty satisfied.

Well there you have it - straight from the horse's mouth.

Mudge, please do reply once you've received the system and let the rest
of us know what you think of them. If your needs are anything like
mine,
I think they'll be satisfactory. And if not, I'd still like to know, so
I can avoid recommending them to others in the future! ; )

OP here . . .

Well, Amazon truly exceeded my expectations by delivering the Klipsch
system today, and I have it hooked up and playing as we [speak]. I am
pretty underwhelmed so far, but I'm in the process of re-EQing all of
my music from Flat+6dB to Flat+0dB since these guys are very efficient
and don't need the boost the Cambridge SoundWorks system did. Somebody
asked which CS sytem I had: It was the original SoundWorks 2.1 system,
and I've been very fond of it for many years until it developed a fault
that caused it it cut out as it warmed up. I also have not yet placed
this subwoofer where it'll ultimately sit so this is a very preliminary
report. I assume it will also take a couple of days for these guys to
break in and mellow out a bit. They're pretty shrill at the moment and
their sound is very "forward" so I'm going to experiment with satellite
placement at the very back of my desk. The subwoofer is very efficient
and needs to be dampened, especially since it will live in a much more
cornered position than where it's sitting right now. I'm determined to
fiddle with placement until they sound balanced since I will not tamper
with the EQ settings beyond Flat+/-XdB. Sting's "They Dance Alone" is
playing right now and sounds pretty good since I've moved the satellite
units back. My random play has picked Margie Raymond's "I'm Available"
(a '50s mono recording) and it sounds very good, but it's just switched
to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me with Science" and it is very shrill.

This is going to be an ongoing process. Stay tuned . . .

OP here . . .

Well, I have installed these guys where they belong and I am beginning
to warm to them. Graham made fun of my contention that they'll need a
bit of time to break in, but my experience with every speaker system I
have ever owned is that new speakers take a little time to loosen up.

These guys are pretty damn accurate on everything I've thrown at them:
Bach, U2, you name it, they're doing a pretty darn good job. I've got
the Yes version of "America" going right now, and I am very happy with
both the detail of the sound and the imaging.

I think I'll give them a guarded thumbs up for now. (For those new to
the thread, I'm talking about a set of Klipsch ProAudio 2.1 monitors.)

OP here . . .

OK, I'm officially impressed. I've been trialing these guys with a very
demanding piece, B. Bartok's Cantata Profana for Tenor, Baritone, Double
Chorus and Orchestra, Sz 94 (The Nine Splendid Stags), and all I can say
is "Wow!" The imaging is truly fine, and the detail's more that I could
possibly have expected from "computer speakers" (no matter how much they
cost me).

The sound is still a bit strident, but assuming that they will settle in
with use, I think I'll be very satisfied with this system.

With horn tweeters, there's always the Charmin mod.

Tissue paper ?

Graham