Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Recommendations for Computer Speakers?

Jolly Roger wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:

The Klipsch speakers are rated:

Frequency response: 31Hz - 20kHz

And if you think that means anything you're an even bigger idiot than I
thought. It's marketing fluff.

Now you've stooped to name calling... you must be proud.

So how many +/- dB do you think the spec is ?

I'll bet you didn't even know that a frequency response figure without dB limits was
meaningless did you ?

Power Handling: Satellites: 55 watts/channel @ ≈‚¬ 1% THD, 200Hz - 1KHz
Subwoofer: 50 watts @ ≈‚¬ 7% THD, 40 - 100 Hz

1% and 7% distortion !

Jesus wept !

I have designed a *600 watt* power amp with distortion below 0.001% midband. I
consider 0.1% distortion to be pretty poor these days never mind distortion
percentages in single digit numbers..

In terms of *computer speakers*? Please...

In terms of what modern electronics is capable of. There is no reason for even cheap
electronics to exceed 0.1% THD at worst.

7% THD is diabolically bad.

I thought 7% seemed like a high number too, but then I realized it's for
the *sub*, which is in a *vented* enclosure.

I don't notice distortion from the satelites. But that's me.

Seems to me that you must be deaf.

Graham