Mike Rivers

In article writes:

My HR824's have worked well for about 4 years. Recently, both speakers
have had the woofer cut out entirely. I found that cranking the volume for
a moment or two seemed to "unstick" the woofer and get it going again. (As
the volume is cranked, the woofer emits bursts of sound, as if struggling
to come on, hence my description of "unsticking.")

That sure sounds like an amplifier problem to me. Since you're already
inside the things, try connecting the woofer up to an amplifier that
you know is good to isolate it to either the speaker or the amplifier.
I'd suggest trying a different speaker but if the amplifier is putting
out DC it could ruin another speaker. So you could have an amplifier
problem that caused a speaker problem.

Anyway, I was able to get a spare woofer off ebay for $30

Guaranteed perfect, no doubt. g Why would anyone have the woofer
out of a Mackie HR824 it they didn't replace it with another one?

It seems the woofer may not even be the root of the problem.

Or it may not be the only problem.

Incidentally, I noticed some differences between the old woofer and the
replacement. I'll probably check with Mackie, but here are the details in
case anyone knows about this.

The did go through a couple of different speakers in that cabinet, but
they're all functionally equivalent. But each one is adjusted at the
factory in test chamber (they give you a real frequency response plot
when they're new) so I expect that unless you send them back to the
factory for repair they'll never sound like new with a replacement
speaker. I doubt that a non-factory authorized repair center would
have suitable test facilities, but would just repair the amplifier or
replace the speaker, whatever is required.

Give a call to tech support and see what they say. They'll probably
tell you to send it in for repair.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )