Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:04:31 -0600, (Jedd Haas) wrote:

My HR824's have worked well for about 4 years. Recently, both speakers
have had the woofer cut out entirely. I found that cranking the volume for
a moment or two seemed to "unstick" the woofer and get it going again. (As
the volume is cranked, the woofer emits bursts of sound, as if struggling
to come on, hence my description of "unsticking.")

Classic description of problems with the speaker relay contacts.
If these have a protection relay between amplifier and woofer,
you need to clean its contacts. Pretty likely anyway.

If it doesn't have a protection relay, then I dunno. Sounds
exactly like a noisy non-wiping contact somewhere.

Also, the "old" woofer had an additional magnet
(doughnut-shaped) epoxied to the back of the speaker.

Was the additional magnet a "retrofit" or
something like that?

Bucking magnets are added to (at least mostly) cancel the
speaker's stray magnetic field, to minimize how purple and
green they turn nearby CRTs. They incidentally increase field
strength in the gap, which is usually good.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"Shi mian mai fu"