Jedd Haas

In article , (Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

Jedd Haas wrote:
My HR824's have worked well for about 4 years. Recently, both speakers
have had the woofer cut out entirely. I found that cranking the volume for
a moment or two seemed to "unstick" the woofer and get it going again. (As
the volume is cranked, the woofer emits bursts of sound, as if struggling
to come on, hence my description of "unsticking.")

When this happens, does disconnecting the woofer from the amp fix the
problem? If so, it's the amp throwing out major DC offset. If not, the
woofer cone is mechanically sticking.

I'm not following you here; if I disconnect the woofer, how will I know if
the problem is fixed? Are you suggesting putting in another woofer? If
not, won't it be bad for amp to run it with no speaker? Or do you mean to
disconnect the woofer, then reconnect it to see if it works again
immediately?

Anyway, I was able to get a spare woofer off ebay for $30, so I replaced
the woofer that had the problem more frequently. As soon as I put the new
woofer in, it started "sticking" but a shot of high volume got it going
right away. (

This sounds to me like a DC offset problem. Try running it on the bench
with the woofer removed, make it stick, then disconnect it from the amp
and see if you don't have an amp problem.

Again--if the woofer is removed, how do I make it stick or even know it's
sticking? The problem is intermittent woofer cut-out. I'm not sure how to
get it to stick, it does it on its own at random intervals (sometimes days
apart).

Have you seen DC offset problems on the HR824's before? If so, is the fix
(typically) a few parts, or is it major?

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com