Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Default Using thyratrons for an amplifier

On Feb 2, 10:20*pm, gjsmo wrote:
On Feb 1, 10:16*pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 8:01*pm, gjsmo wrote:

Believe it or not, I'm serious...

Maybe I should specify more. What could I use to have, say, 100-200W
from a push-pull pair of tubes? I genuinely want them to be
functional, but at the same time look cool (I know, typical noobish
thinking...) - glowing blue and such.

211, 811, 572B for triodes, several tetrodes or pentodes like 4-65A,
4E27, 813, et al.

*The 811 is cheap but it is intended as a zero bias RF tube with a mu
(amplification factor) of 160. The Altec 1570B ran a pair for 150 or
so watts. Several other PA amps too. Horrid sound.

*211, 845 are highish dollar. WE 212, an elephant penis of a tube,
hehttp://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/...ctric-212e-vac...

The 813 looks interesting. I wonder where I can get a pair.
There's an amp that uses them hehttp://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html

You need to learn electronics first.....no offense....

I do know some electronics, but it's all solid-state and digital. So,
I could build a calculator from TTL logic with a decimal keypad and
readout, but not an amp. I tend to try big projects first... so
this'll be my style.

If you understand DC and AC electrical theory and solid state analog
concepts tubes are easy to learn. Any good tube manual or ARRL
Handbook 1950-1976 or so will get you going.