Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Default Using thyratrons for an amplifier

On Jan 29, 9:06*am, Lord Valve wrote:
cjt wrote:
On 01/28/2012 09:48 PM, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:51:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 28, 2:56 pm, Lord *wrote:
cjt wrote:
On 01/27/2012 08:08 PM, gjsmo wrote:
snip
Ok. It would've looked pretty badass, with a pair of gigantic tubes in
a guitar amp, but oh well. Any ideas for some big tubes that can be
gotten cheaply, and would work in a guitar amp?

You could still put them in and light them up if looks are the issue.
Nobody said they have to be functional.

I wanna see where he's gonna get the 42 AMPS of filament juice from....

LV

Actually, I want them to be functional. And if they could glow blue,
that'd be awesome.
I just think it would be cool to have a power amp which instead of a
quad of 6L6s, EL34s, or KT88 (my favorite), it'd be cool to have a
pair of big transmitting tubes, with the tubes on display behind a
piece of glass. And a sign that says "Danger: High Voltage". Yeah.
So if you've got a tube that'll glow blue and is big and will work
with audio - that'd be nice.

Well, get yourself a pair of these then,
http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/049/9/9C21.pdf

Would take 16 KW just to power the heaters and a half track to carry
the OPT but a PP pair would make for a rather impressive 50 KW guitar
amp.

I like that 20 gallons per minute of cooling water -- you could do some
special effects with that for sure.

Back in the day...

The cooling system for the finals at WTOP (50 KW
AM station just outside Washington, DC) used the
fountain in front of the building to dump heat to the
atmosphere. *It'd steam like crazy in the winter...

Lord Valve

DC gets cold enough that if they had had an outage for more than a few
hours they would have had to dump all the water or have a freeze.
Startup would have had to wait for an above freezing day.