Posted to rec.audio.tubes
cjt cjt is offline

Default Using thyratrons for an amplifier

On 01/28/2012 09:48 PM, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:51:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 28, 2:56 pm, Lord wrote:
cjt wrote:
On 01/27/2012 08:08 PM, gjsmo wrote:
snip
Ok. It would've looked pretty badass, with a pair of gigantic tubes in
a guitar amp, but oh well. Any ideas for some big tubes that can be
gotten cheaply, and would work in a guitar amp?

You could still put them in and light them up if looks are the issue.
Nobody said they have to be functional.

I wanna see where he's gonna get the 42 AMPS of filament juice from...

LV

Actually, I want them to be functional. And if they could glow blue,
that'd be awesome.
I just think it would be cool to have a power amp which instead of a
quad of 6L6s, EL34s, or KT88 (my favorite), it'd be cool to have a
pair of big transmitting tubes, with the tubes on display behind a
piece of glass. And a sign that says "Danger: High Voltage". Yeah.
So if you've got a tube that'll glow blue and is big and will work
with audio - that'd be nice.

Well, get yourself a pair of these then,
http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/049/9/9C21.pdf

Would take 16 KW just to power the heaters and a half track to carry
the OPT but a PP pair would make for a rather impressive 50 KW guitar
amp.

I like that 20 gallons per minute of cooling water -- you could do some
special effects with that for sure.